Interesting Activities of the Elite




Are you interested in the works of Jack Vance, the science fiction, fantasy, and mystery author? Are you even more interested in the antics of leading Vance enthusiasts? This is where their deeds are recorded and commented on.

Saturday, January 05, 2008

“Wannek”?

For the Vance Integral Edition (VIE) version of Jack's seminal Planet of Adventure series the decision was made to change the name of the “Wankh,” an alien race, as “wank” is an obscure British slang term for masturbation. But “Wannek,” the odd word that was chosen, seems to me even more obscure---if indeed, as I doubt, there even is an actual language in which this word conjures up the required connotation. I can think of much more straightforward variants immediately: The “Jerkh Offh,” the “Handh Jobh,” or the “Makingh Theh Baldh Guyh Pukeh.” But I was not consulted, of course.

Postscript: I have just been advised that I have, it seems, somewhat misinterpreted the motives behind the change in terminology. But this raises a new issue: Should not the author's name itself also have been changed, then, to avoid reference to the act in question?