Interesting Activities of the Elite




Are you interested in the works of Jack Vance, the science fiction, fantasy, and mystery author? Are you even more interested in the antics of leading Vance enthusiasts? This is where their deeds are recorded and commented on.

Monday, August 28, 2006

Jack Vance Saved My Life, Possibly: A Personal Reminiscence

As today is Jack Vance’s 90th birthday, I, Pulsifer, thought I should share with you the memory of our one and only meeting. It was many decades ago; I was a young teenager and Vance was a guest of honor at an SF convention. At this point I had read not a single word of his work. But I had seen it stated somewhere that he admitted to being influenced by Clark Ashton Smith. (This influence, which to me is obvious, today is often down-played or not mentioned at all, and Vance himself now seems not to remember having been influenced by any other authors at all.)

Since I was very enthusiastic about Smith, but normally had nobody to talk to about it, I seized the opportunity. I followed him around for several days, babbling about Smith, to the extent that few other people ever had a chance to speak with him. I followed him into the bathroom, babbling about Smith. But I believe that, horrible little pest that I undoubtedly was, Vance was nevertheless actually happy not to have to talk about his own writing.

At one point, we were inadvertently locked inside the broom closet or something that I had followed him into (I will admit that by now he may have been desperate to escape me). But Vance forced the door open with a pocket-knife. Thanks, Jack (if I may), and Happy Birthday! We could easily have ended up starving to death in there.